Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Poem On Time

Poem On Time

Lol, an attempt to create a poem like Shakespeare's sonnets. I don't know how to write in Old English so this will have to do. This poem runs around Shakespeare's ideas on Time too I guess?

Death, you may be powerful, for you are infamous
For instilling fear, and worrying the healthy.
You separate the ones in love and you show no mercy.
But, like a drop of water from a beach,
You are only a droplet of the Black Sea called Time.
Time as whole kills whatever that swims;
It rots the strong and creates Death,
It turns the beautiful into the ugly and creates Death.
You can try to resist Time's endless tides,
But that's like man denying themselves ever wrong.
So what can I say against the tides of Time?
Breed, so your offspring may swim on for you.
And when this happens, even the waves can't stop you
Your offspring will be another you, except, new.

Each line of the Sonnet is quite long :/. Need to improve heaps ><.

Since I'm still on the topic I'd like to talk about poems.

As I've written before in my 'The shitness of Engrish', how Poems and literacy works become famous is quite ridiculous; but I won't be discussing much of that in this post.

When reading a poem, I think that the 'professionals' that have the ability to make a poem famous looks mainly into imagery and how successfully a poet presents it in his work. Well, this is what I believe the pros do. To me though, I look at a 'good' poem in a different way. In fact though, I think most of the poems I've read are quite good. To me, I don't think that it is the imagery that makes the poem. My English teacher says 'Show instead of tell'. I believe that a good poem will be able to evoke emotions. And it is the basis of the emotions that imagery is created. That's why different people think of a poem differently I guess, whether it is good or not. For example, this random poet writes a poem about his girlfriend. He writes about how she smiles and the things he like about her. You see, a happy person may look at it and be even more happy? Whereas a sad person, that could possibly had broken up with his girlfriend or something look at it differently. He might remember of her smile and start to feel even more sad. As for a person who doesn't have a girlfriend, he might think of the girl he likes.

What I'm really saying is, Imagery starts off with emotions. You may feel particularly happy or sad about a poem and then it starts you to imagine and begin to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment